Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A video game not made for bingeing

Displaying IMG_6239.PNG
Ready for action


Playing Lego Lord of the Rings for exorbitant amounts of time did not go as expected. The game different from my idea of a normal video game. For one thing, it was very easy.
I began the game in a flashback to the time that the one ring was originally lost. Since this short level was a battle sequence, it wasn't exactly a way to ease into the show. It was tricky and relatively intense compared to the rest of the game.
However, the end of that level commenced my honeymoon period with the show.
Displaying IMG_6215.PNG
Frodo plays in a fountain
Frodo and Sam frolicked around the Shire collecting coins and looking for mushrooms while pastoral music played in the background. The game was fun, it seemed easy, and I wasn't tired of it yet. Oh, for the good old days.
After the game took a darker turn, my opinion of it declined as well. It wasn't that I didn't like the levels that had more substance; it was just bad timing. During one level, I misunderstood the instructions and spent at least twenty minutes trying to beat three enemies with a move that was doing nothing. Finally, one of the enemies simply disappeared, and I assumed the game was trying to make it easier for losers like me. However, when I finally defeated the others I quickly realized there was now no way to win. Because of the glitch, I had to repeat my steps for quite a while in order to reach the level again and finally beat it.
Though this happened only once, the frustration seeped into all the other levels I played. When a level didn't progress despite my best efforts, I guessed something was wrong with the game. On top of that, I began to become lazy.
The last day of bingeing petered out like this, and my days of video game bingeing did not end with a bang. If I had only this binge to go buy, I would have a very boring impression of video game culture. Fortunately, I know the games get better. Maybe one day I'll try bingeing on a really incredible game, and my life will change.
The crew
 

No comments:

Post a Comment